Saturday 12 January 2013

Wing

Before I went to Zbrush, I had a little thought about how to model the wings. In one of my previous projects, where I had to model similar wing, I used an alpha with the wing image. This time I was aiming to a more realistic look.

So firstly I did a little research on different insect wings. I came to a conclusion that fly wings have too little veins and they wouldn't be able to lift my character, which is about the size of a human. So I downloaded a wing with more veins for my reference.


By looking at this wing, I decided to make the veins separate to the actual wing. I went to Maya and from a simple cube I extruded all of the veins. Then, using Create Polygon tool, I drew the outline of the wing and inserted some edges so the topology matches the veins.


So the final mesh of the wing is really heavy and already has enough detail for a final character. So, I decided not to subdivided higher than level 2 in Zbrush and use Zbrush only to position it correctly on the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment